The Lower Brazos River Coalition is a grassroots partnership of concerned individuals, organizations, municipalities, ranchers and farmers, environmentalists and conservationists, businesses and industries, seeking fair and effective Brazos River water supply management.
The Lower Brazos River Coalition seeks to ensure that the river’s limited resources are developed and managed for the benefit of all. This includes local communities, industries, agricultural needs, energy concerns, sportsmen, wildlife habitat and critical environmental flows.
The Coalition serves to provide a collective voice for downstream interests as competition for water increases.
The goals of the Coalition are to:
- Keep water flowing down the entire length of the Brazos River
- Work together to share this limited resource
- Seek responsible, balanced management of river water and flood control – based on science, sound engineering and state law
- Ensure proper management of water resources for downstream businesses, energy concerns and local communities – as well as for wildlife habitat for fishing and hunting and critical environmental flows
- Ensure more water conservation, enforceable drought management and enhanced water supplies throughout the Brazos River Basin
- Examine policies that may place a primacy on holding water in upstream reservoirs over release of water for beneficial use downstream
- Support the TCEQ Watermaster Program for the Brazos River
Lower Brazos River Coalition
The Economic Development Alliance for Brazoria County
4005 Technology Drive, Suite 1010
Angleton, TX 77515
It serves the lifeblood for communities from the Llano Estacado (Texas Panhandle) to south of Dallas-Fort Worth, through Waco and on to the Gulf of Mexico.
Still, competition for river water has intensified amid ongoing drought and rapid population growth. Groups in the upper and middle portions of the basin promote limiting or reducing flows downstream.
The Lower Brazos River Coalition works to keep water flowing down the entire length of the river. The Coalition calls for responsible, balanced management of the Brazos River.